Name:
Courtney June
Grade Level:
Kindergarten
Student Objective:
After this lesson, my students will be able to understand the
difference between the minute and hour hands on the clock.
Teaching Materials:
PowerPoint with clock and definitions
Teaching
Process:
Introduction (whole):
o T: Alright class! Today we
are going to continue our lesson on clocks and telling time.
o T: I want everyone to stand
up and get to where you can move around and not hit anyone.
o S: (move)
o T: We are going to learn a little
song and dance today, how does that sound?
o S: (cheer)
o T: First I am going to show
you and then I will break it down. (Shows song and dance)
Body (part):
o T: First, we are going to go
over the words. I will say the line first and when I point to you, you will
repeat.
o T: I'm in the clock crew and
I'm okay!
o S: I'm in the clock crew and
I'm okay!
o T: I tick all night and I
tick all day.
o S: I tick all night and I
tick all day
o T: I've got two hands, I'm
having a ball,
o S: I've got two hands, I'm
having a ball,
o T: Because I've got no arms
at all!
o S: Because I've got no arms
at all!
o T: My big hand can move
sixty minutes in one hour,
o S: My big hand can move
sixty minutes in one hour,
o T: I'm the one with the
strength and power.
o S: I'm the one with the
strength and power.
o T: My small hand isn't quite
as fast.
o S: My small hand isn't quite
as fast.
o T: If they were in a race,
it would come last!
o S: If they were in a race,
it would come last!
o T: It takes so long just to
get around (12 hours you know),
o S: It takes so long just to
get around (12 hours you know),
o T: It's careful, small, and
slow.
o S: It's careful, small, and
slow.
o T: Now meet my friends that
help me tick-tock,
o S: Now meet my friends that
help me tick-tock,
o T: Half past, quarter past,
quarter to and o'clock.
o S: Half past, quarter past,
quarter to and o'clock.
o T: That was perfect! Now, I
am going to teach you the motions that go with the words. Repeat after me.
o T: I'm in the clock crew
(March in place) and I'm okay! (OK hand signal)
o S: I'm in the clock crew
(March in place) and I'm okay! (OK hand signal)
o T: I tick all night
(sleeping motion) and I tick all day (running in place).
o S: I tick all night
(sleeping motion) and I tick all day (running in place).
o T: I've got two hands (stick
hands out in front) , I'm having a ball (jump up),
o S: I've got two hands (stick
hands out in front) , I'm having a ball (jump up),
o T: Because I've got no arms
at all (hide arms behind back)!
o S: Because I've got no arms
at all (hide arms behind back)!
o T: My big hand (shake right
hand out straight) can move sixty minutes in one hour (move arm in a big
circle),
o S: My big hand (shake right
hand out straight) can move sixty minutes in one hour (move arm in a big
circle),
o T: I'm the one with the
strength and power (show muscles).
o S: I'm the one with the
strength and power (show muscles).
o T: My small hand isn't quite
as fast. (shake left hand in slow motion)
o S: My small hand isn't quite
as fast. (shake left hand in slow motion)
o T: If they were in a race,
it would come last! (run slow in place)
o S: If they were in a race,
it would come last! (run slow in place)
o T: It takes so long just to
get around (12 hours you know), (run slow motion in a circle)
o S: It takes so long just to
get around (12 hours you know), (run slow motion in a circle)
o T: It's careful, small, and
slow. (crouch and tip toe slowly forward)
o S: It's careful, small, and
slow. (crouch and tip toe slowly forward)
o T: Now meet my friends that
help me tick-tock, (wave hand in front of you like showing something)
o S: Now meet my friends that
help me tick-tock, (wave hand in front of you like showing something)
o T: (left hand straight up
the whole time) Half past (right arm straight down), quarter past (right arm
out to the right), quarter to (right arm to the left) and o'clock (right arm
straight up).
o S: (left hand straight up
the whole time) Half past (right arm straight down), quarter past (right arm
out to the right), quarter to (right arm to the left) and o'clock (right arm
straight up).
o T: Continue going over parts
that students look as if they need extra help on.
Closing Activity:
o T: Now, which hand is the
slowest?
o S: The hour hand! The little
hand!
o T: Great! Which had is the
fastest?
o S: The big hand! The minute
hand!
o T: How many minutes are in
an hour?
o S: 60!
o T: How long it take the hour
hand to get around the clock?
o S: 12 hours!
No comments:
Post a Comment